CURTEIS, Robert Mascall.
Born at Windmill Hill, Hailsham, Sussex, 12th October 1851.
Died at Uckfield, Sussex, 21st January 1927.
The second son of Herbert Mascall Curteis, of Windmill Hill Place, Sussex, M.P. for Rye 1847-52 and landowner, who played cricket in 52 first-class matches and was President of Sussex CCC 1869-78. He was educated at Westminster School, where he was a member of the cricket eleven 1867-70, being captain in his last year. He went up to Merton College, Oxford, but did not appear for the University at cricket. He played nine times for Sussex 1873-78 and a couple of times for MCC. His elder brother, Herbert, was also a member of the Westminster cricket eleven and appeared once for Sussex and the MCC.
The 1881 Census finds him resident at Windmill Hill Place, Wartling, Sussex, with his father Herbert Mascall aged 58, landowner, and mother Paulina aged 57. Also present are his brother Herbert, J.P., aged 31 and his wife Isabella aged 20, and three unmarried sisters, Caroline, aged 30, Eliza Anna aged 26, and Katherine aged 24. He is aged 29, unmarried and apparently unemployed. There are six domestic servants.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Don Ambrose)
- Afghanistan in Ireland 2016
- Afghanistan in Scotland 2016
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- India in West Indies 2016
- Pakistan in England and Ireland 2016
- Pakistan Women in England 2016
- Sri Lanka in England and Ireland 2016
- West Indies Tri-Series 2016
View all Current Events CLICK HERE