BUCKLAND, Francis Matthew.
Born at Laleham-on-Thames, Middlesex, 27th August 1854.
Died at Bexhill-on-Sea, Sussex, 7th March 1913.
The son of M.H.Buckland of Laleham, he was educated at Eton, where he was in the cricket eleven 1871-73. He went up to University College, Oxford, where he was a member of the University team 1874-77, winning his blue in the last three years. In total he appeared in 24 first-class matches.
He was an assistant master at Winchester College 1880-81 and later the Head-Master of a preparatory School at Laleham-on-Thames.
At the time of the 1881 Census he was lodging at 12 College Street, St.Swithin, Winchester, aged 26, an assistant clerical master at Winchester College, B.A., Oxford. The lodging house is run by two unmarried ladies, Caroline (aged 35) and Ellen (24) Braziere. Also present is their aunt Mary A. Hooper, an annuitant aged 71, a visitor St,Clair K.M.Stobart, a 19 year old undergraduate of Oriel College, Oxford and school teacher, and another lodger Arthur H.Cook, a 29 year old, M.A., assistant master at Winchester College.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Don Ambrose)
- England in Bangladesh 2016/17
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- ICC World Cricket League Championship 2015 to 2017
- New Zealand in India 2016/17
- New Zealand Women in South Africa 2016/17
- South Africa in Australia 2016/17
- Sri Lanka in Zimbabwe 2016/17
- West Indies in United Arab Emirates 2016/17
View all Current Events CLICK HERE