|Scorecard:||West Indies v Australia|
- Jermaine Lawson (7-78) recorded the fourth best figures by a West Indian against Australia. Only Curtly Ambrose (7-25 at Perth in 1992-93), Andy Roberts (7-54 at Perth in 1975-76) and Gerry Gomez (7-55 at Sydney in 1951-52) had returned better figures for West Indies against Australia in a Test innings.
- Lawson’s figures are the best by a West Indian against Australia in West Indies obliterating Vanburn Holder’s six for 28 at Port-of-Spain in 1977-78.
- Brian Lara (68) on 23, completed his 8000 runs in Test Cricket. He is the third West Indian after Gary Sobers and Viv Richards and only the 13th overall to have aggregated 8000 or more runs in Test Cricket.
- By taking only 94 Tests to reach this landmark, Lara became second fastest to do so. The record is held by Gary Sobers who needed only 91 Tests to reach 8000 runs.
- The 242 run-partnership for the first wicket in second innings was the fifth double century stand between Matthew Hayden and Justin Langer – a new Test record. The previous record was of four double century stands between West Indians Gordon Greenidge and Desmond Haynes.
- The above partnership was the second best for Australia against West Indies for the first wicket after the 382 run-partnership between Bill Lawry and Bob Simpson at Bridgetown in 1964-65.
- Brian Lara (60) became completed his 2000 runs as West Indies’ captain. He was leading West Indies for the 22nd time. At the end of this match, Lara has 2037 runs from 40 innings to his name @ 53.61. He became fourth West Indian after Clive Lloyd (5233 runs in 74 matches), Gary Sobers (3528 in 39) and Viv Richards (3068 in 50) and 28th player in Test cricket to do so.
- Lara aggregated 533 runs in the series. This was the second time that Lara was aggregating 500 runs (or more in a series against Australia. He had accumulated 546 runs in 1998-99 series. Lara became first West Indian and fifth batsman after England’s Jack Hobbs, Ken Barrington and John Edrich and South African Graeme Pollock to aggregate 500 runs in a series against Australia on more than one occasion. Edrich being the only one to do so on three occasions.
- This was the fifth occasion that Lara aggregated 500 runs (or more) in a series. Apart from the two such instances against Australia he had aggregated 798 runs against England in 1993-94, 765 also against England in 1995 and 688 runs against Sri Lanka in 2001-02. Now only three batsmen Don Bradman (seven times), Gary Sobers and Sunil Gavaskar (six apiece) have more instances of 500 runs in a series than Lara.
- West Indies’ fourth innings total (418-7) is the highest ever fourth innings target successfully chased by a side in Test cricket. Ironically the previous record was made against West Indies when India made 406 for four at Port-of-Spain in 1975-76. The accompanying table lists the highest fourth innings winning totals :
Score Winner Loser Venue Test Season 7/418 WI Aus St. John's 4th 2002-03 4/406 Ind WI Port-of-Spain 3rd 1975-76 3/404 Aus Eng Leeds 4th 1948 6/369 Aus Pak Hobart BO 2nd 1999-00 7/362 Aus WI Georgetown 3rd 1977-78
- The win was West Indies’ first against Australia in last ten matches.
- The defeat was Australia’s only third in last 18 matches. Australia have lost to South Africa and England during this period. Interestingly all of these three defeats came in the last Test of the series.
(Article: Copyright © 2003 Rajneesh Gupta)
- Australia in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- ICC Women's Championship 2014 to 2016/17
- New Zealand in United Arab Emirates 2014/15
- South Africa in Australia 2014/15
- South Africa in New Zealand 2014/15
- South Africa Women in Sri Lanka 2014/15
- Sri Lanka in India 2014/15
- West Indies in India 2014/15
- West Indies Women in Australia 2014/15
- Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2014/15
View all Current Events CLICK HERE